Software Engineering Training Project SS 2001
Management of Examination Results
March 27, 2001
The goal of this project is the development of a system for managing in a
database the results of student examinations. This system shall be able to
support the following actions:
- A lecturer is able to enter the results of an examination, to view, and to modify the results, and to print
corresponding result sheets.
- A student is able to view the results of all examinations he has taken
and to print a corresponding result sheet.
- A supervisor is able to view the examination results of all students
that he supervises and to print corresponding result sheets.
For security, all accesses to the system must be password-authenticated and
all new/modified exam results must be logged in a history.
The system shall be implemented in pure Java as a "3-tier architecture" of
client, server, and database:
- The client runs on the user machine. It provides
a graphical user interface via which all interactions with the system
- The server runs on a dedicated machine and
communicates with the clients via RMI (Remote Method Invocation); it
coordinates the interactions of all clients with the database.
- The database runs on a dedicated machine and stores all persistent data
(examination results, passwords, modification history); it communicates with
the server via the JDBC (Java Database Connectivity) protocol.
The project shall be performed according to usual software engineering
standards yielding requirement analysis, specification, design,
implementation, tests, user and implementation documentation. It shall make
use of adequate tools (e.g. rcs for version control of code and
documents, netbeans for building the user interface, javadoc
for constructing the implementation description).
Project Web Page